Monday, February 23, 2009

The Gambler




I just finished watching the Oscars and I must say I'm glad I didn't put any money on it because I would have lost big time. Big Time!


I really thought The Curious Case... was going to win best picture and Brad Pitt would win best actor. Wrong and wrong. I haven't seen 'Slumdog Millionaire' but I understand that it was the underdog and everyone loves an underdog.... Plus, Bollywood is really on the come-up now so I'm sure we will be seeing more India based movies in the near future. Of course I love seeing more brown people getting proper screen time.

As far as best actress goes I really thought Angie had it in the bag. I'm glad Kate won though, because she is so sweet and seems like a genuine person. I loved how she waved to her Dad in the audience, so cute.

Taraji P. Henson had the best supporting actress vote from me but Penelope Cruz took that one home for that threesome Barcelona movie.
I will say, I knew Heath Ledger would win best supporting actor for 'The Dark Knight' but really, who didn't?
I thought Frost/Nixon would get some awards but I don't think they got any.
I haven't seen 'The Wrestler" but Mickey Rourke had my vote from the previews. No one could play such a rundown, downtrodden, lost and washed-up, has-been better then him. I say that with the best intentions!
All in all I really, really enjoyed the show. Will Smith looked great. The dance number with Hugh Jackman and Beyonce was fantabulous, as was the opening number.
I think the inventive way they did the presentations of the best actress/actor, best supporting actor/actress was a delightful change that I wish they would have thought of long ago. It was nice to see winners from the past honoring all the nominees of the evening. In past years it has always seemed to me as though they didn't pay much attention to all the nominees. It really is a big deal just to get to that point, whether they win or lose.
As far as fashion goes:
Ann Hathaway and Taraji P. Henson had the best dresses of all.
What are your thoughts?
Picture credit: Getty






2 comments:

Kwana said...

I agree with you on the best dresses. Check out my blog. I posted the same pics. I thought Viola would have had it for best supporting actress. I was wrong too.

SA said...

I thought Anne Hathaway's dress was a bit bland.

The thing for me with Tomei's dress was that the fit of it was amazing. And that made all layers work.