Sunday, June 01, 2008

Don't Make Me Over



I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do with this blog. What I want the format to be. Technically, I've been blogging since 2006 but I didn't touch it for almost a year, so I don't much count that. I didn't start it to be seen by others. However, over the course of the past year more and more visitors have stopped by, some have even stuck around. So I figure maybe it's time for a spring cleaning or an Extreme Blogger Makeover-web edition.

Sometimes I'll look at other blogs and get blogger envy at how smooth and fresh their layout looks. I admire how some are so consistent with their posts. It's nice when I go to Don's blog on Saturday and I know he's doing old school music wars. It's something I said I wanted to do--have regularly scheduled subjects on the same days every week, but as we all know I am the procrastination queen.

I've been asked by various people what's my blog about? I usually don't have a concise answer. It's sort of a hodgepodge I guess.

I don't talk about politics much, even though I am a active voter and have been since I turned 18. I could tell you how I feel about the candidates and all their shenanigans or how I think if you don't vote then you suck, but, it's not where my heart is, at least not today.

I also don't blog about beauty products. I don't think anyone cares what kind of soap I use or moisturizer. Not because I'm not interested in looking hot, I have-somewhat against my will-stopped paying much attention to how I look. I still bathe and comb my hair mind you....but there isn't any effort behind it. So sad.

I also don't really talk about writing or the process of writing I should say. I love writing but don't feel as though I have any authoritative knowledge on the subject to strictly talk about it. Not yet anyway.

I've seen plenty of "Mom Blogs" where women do nothing but gush over how cute their kids are and talk about what hilarious antidote that occurred during dinner. My kids are damn cute and some pretty funny stuff comes pouring out of their sweet little mouths too, but, you'll just have to take my word for it.

I kind of like the fact that I'm not confined to a single subject and I think I will keep it that way. That way I have the freedom to one day tell you that my youngest daughter started walking this past week. Or, that I love Avon thermafirm moisturizing cream. Or even, that I think Obama rocks and I can't wait to vote for him in November.

So maybe I won't do a extreme makeover just a mini dinner and a movie type of restyle. I'll try a few things out and see what works.

Suggestions always welcomed.


6 comments:

SA said...

Am I suppose to say congratulations on your daughter walking or something like, "Awww!"? Cause I'm usually very awkward in these type of situations.

And I never care how I look and I don't have kids to take care of. So don't beat yourself up about it.

As for your blog I think you need to do what you want, not something because everyone else is/was doing it. I went to a hosting account (at least for a month) because I plan on moving one of my other blogs to a different hosting account within the next few weeks and I wanted to get some experience with it. Now that I know what goes on I think I'll be doing it for now on, although I'm still not 100% sure about that. I think you have to do what's going to be best for you (with time/money etc.) and your site.

That's a lot of words for basically saying the same old cliche statements. Sorry bout that.

Foia said...

Hey you...I'm finally leaving a comment...i think go for a makeover..if you know how to do the construction..i would hook my page up..but i don't know how..oh well..this is the first time in my life that i feel totally out of touch w/ computers..


Oh i see that you like alice walker..have you ever read J.California Cooper..they roll in the same camp.

Ms.Erika said...

@SA lol no, you don't need to comment. It's a special thing but not to everyone. That was my whole point. :)

@ Foia Welcome, fellow Michigan defector. I have a little web page knowelege but not the patience. My husband could do it and add all types of animation and graphics but he would have to find time. I am going to make more of an effort to post regular segments...thanks for the visit.

Don said...

i actually sat and tried to figure out what i'd do differently. i couldn't think of too much that i'd do - especially since your blog is more focused on content than appearance.

i think maybe you could change your font colors. maybe change the background color, but that's about it.

i look forward to seeing what you decide.

i too like diversity in blogs. i think it's a great thing. it doesn't keep the reader in a box, and neither does it leave us clicking on your like already knowing what to expect.

thanks for the shout out on minus the bars. look @ all the fun and laughs we shared.

Ms.Erika said...

@ Foia No I have never read J. California but I will look for some stuff next time I'm at the library.

@ Don, yeah I don't want flashy pages just prettier. I have thinking of changing the color I just love brown, plus it goes with the whole coffee theme. The font, I'm not married to it so that can go. It's all starting to look so blah...
I have a few segment ideas that I will introduce this week. I'll see how I feel about them as time goes on...MTB was the best. Thank You.

Don said...

the brown definitely went with the 'coffee' theme. looking 4ward to the segment ideas.