Saturday, January 05, 2008

Ready or Not


So it's the New year and everyone expects you to make some type of resolution. Be it lose weight, quit smoking, go back to school, stop cheating on your spouse...blah blah blah. I guess the start of a new year always makes one think and take stock of their accomplishments from the previous year. You look back and say what the heck did I do with all that time? 52 weeks, 365 days! OMG did I do anything remotely worth remembering?
Never really seems like it does it.
Especially when you look at a newborn baby. In 2008 Shy will have learned to walk, talk, sit herself up, eat with a spoon, grow teeth and turn over from her back to her belly. That's a lot for one year and these are skills she will use for the rest of her life. That makes me think, what skill(s) will I learn this year and use over and over again.? What scares me more then anything I guess, is that I will look up one day soon and be 30 and not have accomplished anything important. I won't be anywhere near where I thought or planed or wanted to be. I use to say that I don't make resolutions per se. Even though when I quit smoking 2 years ago it was on New Years day. Rather, I make a few small goals for myself. Which really is just a horse of another color, I guess. I think what I will do this year is post my goals er..resolutions here for the whole world to see ( or just the 6 or so people that I know who read this blog). That way I feel a bit more accountable for them. And I want you to remind me of that and say: "Hey girlfriend, I thought you were going to do such and such....?" So here goes:

1. Stop making excuses. This way when you confront me on not sticking to this list, I won't be able to worm my way out of it.
2. Finish my Novel.
3. Write Something Everyday.
4. Send out 20 inquires for my writing.
5. Go Back to school. again.
6. Learn to Sew. with my cute new sewing machine.
7. Appreciate what I have more. This includes my husband and children.
8. Start freelancing and get something published somewhere.
9. Knit something out of my comfort zone. Like a dress or a tank top.
10. Read 50 books.
11. Let shit go.
12. Exercise more. I started doing yoga and power walking last year and really enjoyed it.
13. Join a critique group.
Well there it is. I will probably add a few more things to list and these items are in no particular order. They are all important in some way to me. If I fulfill these goals in 2008 then I won't look back at this time next year and wonder what the heck I did. Now it's your turn. What are you going to do for you this year? Go ahead put it out there for the whole universe to see. I promise it won't hurt.
Good Luck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're such and inspiration! I'm so glad we're friends. You add so much to my life and I think I've decided what I want to blog about...I'll write reviews on Metro Detroit events...I love events and calendars so it's a perfect! I want to get out of the house more in 2008 despite gas prices. My student writer has started a blog doing Christian book and music reviews...he's been getting a ton of stuff in the mail.

I share a lot of your goes including:
1) Write something everyday (unrelated to Rochester College)
2) Stop making excuses and procrastinating
3) Start freelancing more
4) Take the 2 week course at Yale that I've been wanting to do...I can't go back to school and sit in anybody's class longer than that.
5) Learn to Salsa
6) Appreciate what I have more and spend more time with my family and mentor more young people
7) Do something out of my comfort zone...like public speaking or event planning
8) Read 1-3 books a year(that's huge for me)
9) Exercise more...Lord Help me lose 50 pounds by my birthday on June 22
10) Get out of Michigan. Get out of the Country. I want to go to a different country at least once a year.
11) I need to join some sort of group...not sure what, but networking is great!
12) Stop worrying about money and get my money straight

Lot's O' Luv...EFYW...I miss you already!

Anonymous said...

I miss reading your blogs Erika! When's the next entry? You must be busy enjoying Vegas :-)

~Tiesha