Saturday, May 10, 2008

A funny kind of LOVE

Photo credit-HBO

Two posts ago I briefly spoke on Polygamy. My goal was simply to give one view on the situation in Texas, hopefully, a non-judgemental one. I have not fully researched the Mormon religion so I will not pretend to be an expert on any of their beliefs. I do, on the other hand, think that HBO's Big Love is a great show. Not the same I know.


I also know, that I wouldn't be interested in having a polygamist relationship myself. Not to say I would mind someone else doing the housework, changing some poopy diapers and scrubbing the toilet. I guess that would be more along the lines of a maid though...


I am an only child and I don't share well with others so having a communal husband doesn't sound like all that much fun. However, I have to admit there have been a few moments when I would have liked to say "Can't you go to your other wife's house for awhile and leave me alone?" Still, I don't think it works like that either.


My point though was/is this, who am I to judge? Especially, when this is their religion and they have a bible to back up their beliefs; we all know the bible can and has been interpreted in many different ways. Baptist, Lutheran, 7th day Adventist all these religions have a somewhat different take on various scriptures. Who's right? Who's wrong? Not for me to say.


Polyomy is practiced all over the world and I don't see any U.S. forces storming the villages of Nigeria demanding that all the children must be taken away. The fact that a man wants to take responsibility for more then one wife and a bus load of kids can be looked at as somewhat commendable. Some men won't claim one.


The newspapers seemed to stress the fact that a large number of these young girls had already given birth and they weren't of age. So.
You can find plenty of young mothers all over Vegas, Detroit, Atlanta, Billings-pretty much anywhere in the United States. At least these girls were married and had the means and family support to care for these babies. I don't think they're out laboring in a bathroom stall or tossing them in dumpsters....


If any of the children were being abused, then yes, they should be removed from that abusive place, but if they are considering underage marriage or polygamy abuse then they need to return the children to their Mothers.


2 comments:

Don said...

The fact that a man wants to take responsibility for more then one wife and a bus load of kids can be looked at as somewhat commendable. Some men won't claim one.

LOL.

You do have a point.

I don't think I could ever get down like this. But like you stated, who are we to judge? People do what they want to do anyways. Right?

Ms.Erika said...

Pretty much...They just need to let them go.