Friday, December 28, 2007

The 12 Bars of Christmas




A good friend from my high school days, Erica came home from the Peace Corps for Christmas. She celebrated her homecoming by commissioning a pub crawl for her return. Erica has been in Africa, more specifically Berkina Faso helping the locals start their own businesses and utilize the resources they have available. It's been over a year since she left and already her mind and attitude and just everyday way of thinking has changed. The experience would humble anyone I think. Check out her blog it's linked on the right under "My Peep hole". You can can read all about her adventures and exciting projects. I told her I'm so jealous that I didn't think to go to the Peace corps right out of high school. It would have been an amazing experience. I hope maybe one of my kids will want to do something to the effect.


Anyway, back to the important part. The crawl. If you've never been on one then it's a must for your 2008 to do list. You (and a group of friends hopefully, alone you just look like a lost drunk) start at one bar or pub and drink for 45 minutes or so then you walk on to the next bar. Obviously, you want to be a place that has a few bars close together. Usually these crawls have a theme. Ours was the 12 bars of Christmas. So you guessed it, we planed to hit 12 bars in Royal Oak all while walking in 25 degree Michigan weather, singing Christmas carols. Yes, we had to sing while we walked on to the next watering hole. "Come all ye faithful", "Let it snow" and "Hark the Herald angels " were sung all while donning very festive Santa hats and ugly sweaters. Strangely enough we didn't sing the 12 days of Christmas. I only made it to bar #10 but that was 2 more then the goal I set. So that makes like an overachiever of sorts. Besides I told my babysitter I would get home before midnight and by bar #10 the momentum of the group had died down. I drank a few pints Winter Ale, siped a Chocolate Martini, downed a really strong Margarita, did a couple shots of Red Headed Sluts and Buttery Nipples and I didn't get sick. Man, even after 3 kids this housewife's still got it.

No comments: