Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Come out, come out wherever you are...!


I have been MIA for the past month or so. My computer has been on the fritz and I just got fed up with trying to type the same paragraph over and over again. I moved my blog to wordpress last week but I haven't got it looking the way I want it to. That's why I haven't invited anyone over there yet. (You know how it is when you've just moved into a new place and your not quite ready for visitors. Shit just laying around, box's still unopened let alone unpacked. Your html not working in your sidebar.....you know what I mean.) Now, I'm thinking of staying with blogger because I'm so damn comfortable with the workings of this site. I don't feel like learning new crap right now. The only thing is, some of my readers have a hard time trying to leave comments because they don't have blogger accounts or Google accounts. Wordpress is much more user friendly. Decisions- Decisions. I have also started a little book review blog where I will post my thoughts and opinions on all the books I read this year. March is reading month (at least in the elementary schools it is) so make sure you grab at least one book this month to fall in love with. Me? I'm still waiting on my copy of the new Jodi Picoult to arrive at my door step. Hey, Mr. Postman where are yooou? Here is a synopsis of the book if you haven't seen it already.

Synopsis:

Shay Bourne - New Hampshire’s first death row prisoner in 69 years – has only one last request: to donate his heart post-execution to the sister of his victim, who is looking for a transplant. Bourne says it’s the only way he can redeem himself…but with lethal injection as his form of execution, this is medically impossible. Enter Father Michael Wright, a young local priest. Called in as Shay’s spiritual advisor, he knows redemption has nothing to do with organ donation – and plans to convince Bourne. But then Bourne begins to perform miracles at the prison that are witnessed by officers, fellow inmates, and even Father Michael – and the media begins to call him a messiah. Could an unkempt, bipolar, convicted murderer be a savior? It seems highly unlikely, to the priest. Until he realizes that the things Shay says may not come from the Bible…but are, verbatim, from a gospel that the early Christian church rejected two thousand years ago…and that is still considered heresy.
Change Of Heart looks at the nature of organized religion and belief, and takes the reader behind the closely drawn curtains of America’s death penalty. Featuring the return of Ian Fletcher from Keeping Faith, it also asks whether religion and politics truly are separate in this country, or inextricably tangled. Does religion make us more tolerant, or less? Do we believe what we do because it’s right? Or because it’s too frightening to admit that we may not have the answers?

4 comments:

Don said...

Sounds like a pretty interesting read. I also notice how you listed Sister Soulja's CWE as one of your book favorites.

What drew you to that book?

Ms.Erika said...

You know, I really don't remember. It was 6+ years ago when I read it. Someone could have suggested it or I could have just liked the cover. All I know is that I'm glad I did. The book is wonderful. S.S. did a excellent job developing her story and characters. This book is on my re-read list. I hope you'll try "Change of Heart" and tell me what you think. Thanks for reading my little ole blog. I love yours :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the summary because you know I'm not going to read it. I think the Coldest Winter...was the last book I read, which was when I was pregnant. Nina will be a year next month.

Don said...

Thanks. I wrote this book title in my To Read notes, so hopefully I can read it sometime this summer. Of course when I do I will speak on it.