Saturday, March 29, 2008

God Bless the American Housewife


My husband texts me a message the other day.


"I had no idea I married such a sexist".


This of course didn't just come out of the blue. It stemmed from a small meltdown that I had moments earlier.

Since we moved here I have had to hook up the digital cable, the Internet, the new printer, program the universal remote and a bunch other stuff that I can't remember right now.

Normally these are all tasks that my husband would have taken care of but because of his absence I had to. So I bitched about it. I just don't have the patience and the universal remote was the proverbial straw. I was about ready to make him get on a plane and come fix it himself. That doesn't make me sexiest does it? More like a realist. I've never really considered myself a feminist. I'm certainly no bra burner. Some of what I think is wrong with this country stems from that whole feminist movement. That's a whole other topic and I'll save that for another time.


It's not that I don't know how to do these things because I do and what I don't know I can look up on the Internet. Which is what I did for the stupid remote.
But I'z married now! I say, I'z married now.


Look, I know it's not PC to say this but I know my place. And it's not out in the garage or tinkering with surround sound. Those are things that we do because we don't have someone else to do them for us. The cable company charges extra to come out and hook everything up and I'm to frugal to pay someone for something I know how to do, although I may not like it. I try to set a good example for my 3 girls and I want them to be strong independent women, as I'm sure they will be. They will know, like their mother does, how to change a tire. How to check the oil in their car, how to hook up their printer and wireless Internet. Just as well as they will know how to cook meatloaf, turnip greens and cornbread. I believe in self sufficiency but I also hope that if and when they get married they find a husband that can take care of that "man" stuff for them. I know some won't agree, that's fine, but I know their are a whole lot of women who won't say it but they sure do believe it.


I mean, I agreed to have the babies right?

8 comments:

SA said...

But I'z married now! I say, I'z married now.

I love that scene. Probably because of where it leads to, but I still love it.

I'd say more of a realist. My mother is the handy(wo)man of my parents yet I never picked up a thing. I think it's good to show your daughters that women can do everything a man can, but I think it's unrealistic to expect them to be all "Goooo Girl Power!" and stuff. Mostly because that just might not be their personality.

Hmm...I hope you get the point of my comment. I seem to have lost it somehow. Sorry bout that. :)

Virtuous said...

I heard about you via Don.
Glad to finally find your blog fellow knitter!
Would love to see what you are working on...are you on Ravelry???

And gurl I get it...if you have your helpmate, then you want him there!!!
He will be back soon

And I will be back too! :o)

Ms.Erika said...

sa-I love that seen too, I think I started singing God's tring to tell you something as I wrote the post. And you got exactly what I was saying. If they (my kids) want to work on cars or electronics then more power to them but not me.

Ms.Erika said...

Virtuous- Yes I am on Ravelry my name is "Vegashooker" I love that site and your too. I'm only working on washcloths in bright summer colors right now but I just finished a purse that I will post on the other blog this week....

Thanks for the visit!

Don said...

Some of what I think is wrong with this country stems from that whole feminist movement.

Amen.

I'm shocked to hear a woman say this. I agree. Can it be that it was all so simple when both the men and women knew their requirements. Now it's all so blurry. You really shocked me with this post.

Ms.Erika said...

Well, I think a lot of women feel the same way they just don't want to say it aloud.

Especially not to a man!

Women today feel like they have to do it all or they're failing in some way. Your weak if you need a man's help....it's a shame really.....but that's just me.

Don said...

lol @ especially not to a man. I feel you.

Anonymous said...

i am a sexiest but i still take advantage of the men when I have them then when I am done I move on to the next. lol but you make a very good point One day when I grow up and get married I will be like you. Keep up the good work Supermom, I admire your ability to do all that you do and still be a good mom and wife.