Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Can We Talk?


She said "Honey, why did you marry me?"



He said "Because I thought you were the most beautiful woman in the world and I wanted you to be with me, always."



She said "Really, honey?"



He said " No, really I just thought you wanted to do it. It didn't make me any difference either way".






The above dialogue is fiction. But I'm sure somewhere, someone has had a conversation close to that one. Women in general ask a lot of questions. We want to know what your thinking, why your thinking it and how long you've felt that way. Why? Because we're gluttons for punishment. Sometimes we do ask to many questions. Want to know way more information then is needed. "But Erika!" you say. How can you say that! Don't you want to know what your husband is thinking? Don't you want to know how he feels about this or that?




Nope.




I used to but not so much anymore. If I have learned anything over the past 9+ years of our relationship is that somethings are better left unsaid. Perhaps less is more. I sometimes forget this bit of knowledge and end up regretting opening my mouth in the first place. For instance, this conversation did happen.



I said "Honey, how come it seems like we have less sex. Is it because I'm pregnant?



He said "I've just been tired"



I said "But honey, don't you find me attractive"? All the while rubbing my swollen belly.



He said "Your beautiful"



I said "A lot of men find pregnant women even more sexy".



He said "Oh, I see."



(Program note: see I should have ended the conversation at the "Your beautiful" part. But noooo I had to keep prodding. I wanted to know more. (shaking my head) big mistake. Now back to the conversation)



I said "Don't you think I look sexier all full of life and caring our child"?



He said "No, not really. I love you and I will always think your gorgeous but honestly? I look at you more like a vessel right now. Your carrying our child.......blah blah blah......



He goes on and on but all I hear is the word "VESSEL". Vessel, like a submarine or better yet the Goodyear blimp! "So you think I look like the Goodyear blimp"? And the argument begins.



My husband, a sweet, lovely man would never say I look like a submarine but because I wouldn't stop running my mouth and prodding him I ended up getting my feelings hurt. He meant that I was much more to him now and he had apprehensions about doin' the do the way we do while I was with child. But that point was moot to me. I was full of hormones and all sorts of pregnancy imbalances, basically, I was very unstable at this point so all I heard was fat, frumpy, unattractive, not sexy.....and the list goes on. I could have saved both of us a whole lot of trouble and time if I didn't insist on knowing what he knew would hurt my feelings. Knowing that he would never intentionally try to make me feel bad what I should have said was:



"Honey, can we have sex"?



He says "Yes"



See less is more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW 9 Years...that's a long time. Despite Shanea's age I didn't realize you all had been together that long. It looks more significant in print.

I don't ask my husband how I look. But he picks at me about my weight gain. I don't let it bother me because I know I can lose it when I get good and ready and I know that's not why he loves me.

I don't let it affect sex either...it's a mind thing anyway. You can motivate yourself to have it or not have it.

Anonymous said...

Less is more didn't work when I was married because it turned into us not communicating at all after awhile.

Now I try and stay away from subjects that may cause me to get my feelings hurt (ie. my weight and my crazy ass family). If I want sex I just take it usually and then my honey just says I raped him (but he likes that). Sorry that was TMI.

Anonymous said...

Less is more didn't work when I was married because it turned into us not communicating at all after awhile.

Now I try and stay away from subjects that may cause me to get my feelings hurt (ie. my weight and my crazy ass family). If I want sex I just take it usually and then my honey just says I raped him (but he likes that). Sorry that was TMI.

Ms.Erika said...

lol...Sometimes you do have to just take it.