Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Motivation


Sounds simple but it's so not. Especially for those who suffer from the genetic disease procrastinationitis. Yes folks, I have it and my current bought with it is extremely bad.


I just can't seem to get back on a schedule. We seemed to be doing o.k. when we first got here. But now the baby (AKA # last) is cutting her first tooth and is not seeming to enjoy the experience much. My 4 year old (AKA #2) has more energy then a 6 pack of red bull and seems to be extra needy lately. I'm sure it's due in part to the move and her lack of regular playmates. Plus, all this 80+ degree weather just makes her want to go to the park everyday. I swear we have been to the park more in the past 2 months then I have in the past 2 years. I'm starting to loathe the park. My oldest(AKA #1) is pretty self-sufficient and is gone most of the day at school but once I pick her up she has million and one questions and even more things to talk about. Of course her sister brags about going to the park all the time so then she wants to go to the park too. That's only fair right? She's had a long day at school she could use a little time to blow off some steam and play with her sister. This isn't a everyday thing but everyday it's something else. Let's add on to the fact that I need to make dinner, feed the baby, practice letters and handwriting with #2, go over homework with #1, clean up, take care of household affairs, shop for groceries.......ARRRG! So what do I let go of? The house cleaning? Oh sure let's not mop the floor and let baby crawl around and lick up the dirt. Don't go to the park? O.k. then the kids will just climb the walls and cry that they are sooo bored and then I still can't get any work done. Write at the park, you say? I've tried that but I spend so much time wiping snot, pushing swings, changing diapers and just plain making sure no one is looking at my kids to long that not much gets done. I don't want this to be a woe is me post about the trials and tribulations of being a domestic goddess but it does seems to be going that way now doesn't it....


O.K. so back to my original point. I have been coming up with all these ideas to write about and avenues in which to get published but I just have not had the energy to put forth much effort. Besides this blog, all I've written recently is a half done article about babies and planes, a book review, and a 2 pages of my book. I've tried staying up late but as anyone who knows me knows I am no night owl. I thought I was doing something by staying up till 11 last night. (don't laugh) I keep saying once this happens, or that changes, or my honey gets back I will be able to pursue my goals but I don't want to keep putting things off, that just makes my illness worse. You always hear about those writers who really wanted it. They worked 12 hour days and raised 4 kids and still found time to write that bestseller. They can kiss my ass. Maybe what I need is some vitamins or more exercise. That will give me more energy right? But then I have to find the time to go buy them and to do it. You know what-Woe-is-me damn it. I'm tired and frustrated and I need time to myself so that I can figure out how to get some time for myself.

4 comments:

Don said...

lol @ kiss my ass

I read about these authors all.the.time. and I too wonder how are they able to accomplish that. But I guess if a person really, really wants something...they will get it. By all means.

Maybe you just need a vacation, ms erika. I once tried to sit @ the park and write. Couldn't do it. So I know it would be hard for you to do, since you have little ones.

Maybe a good mystery read will rejuvenate you?

Ms.Erika said...

And a vacation will come, just not before school lets out. So until then...Do you have any suggestions of a good mystery read?......as long as it isn't a horror.

Don said...

Ordeal by Innocence by Agatha Christie. It's a pretty good mystery read.

Anonymous said...

I suffer from the same disease and I really don't know what to tell you. I have all types of handwritten pages stuck in a box on a shelf in my closet. I thought that if I bought a laptop and carried it with me on my trips that I would get things accomplished. Carrying the laptop around became a pain in my ass going through security so I stopped carrying it. When I had decided that I would just suck it up and carrying the damn thing anyway it no longer worked. I won't be buying another refurbished laptop again.

Whenever you find some of that extra time and energy you let me know how to get some.